Minutes of the Meeting held on Saturday 30th March 2019
The Fieldhead Hotel, Markfield Lane, Markfield LE67 9PS
The Following were in attendance
Dave Lee – Chairman
Helen Reaney – Secretary
Karon Jackson – KCBLO
Kirsty Summerfield – represented Archie as LHC
Clubs in attendance
Downlands – Alice Levy.
East Anglia – represented by Karon Jackson
East Midlands – Janet Higgins and Maureen Ward
North West – Vickie Butler and Elaine Norton
Northern Counties – Martin Johnson
Notts & Derby – Mick Smith and Kirsty Summerfield
Southern Counties – Kevin Papworth
South Wales – represented by Keith Price
SBTC – Alan Hedges and Wayne Jackson
1. Apologies for absence. Merseyside, Scottish
2. Minutes of the meeting held on Saturday 4th November 2018 and Matters Arising Proposed as a true record. Prop NC/2ndd EM -
For 7 Abstain 2 - Carried
3.1. Chairman’s Report. See attached
3.2. Secretary’s Report. – see attached
3.3. Public Relation Officer’s Report. – none
3.4. Kennel Club Breed Liaison Officer’s Report. – Copy to follow
4. Correspondence & matters arising.
Matters arising from the last Meeting – As directed by the previous meeting the Secretary contacted the KC regarding the approval of judges who were not supported by the Breed Clubs. The response back from George Martin in the judge’s department was that although the Breed Clubs did not support the KC take into consideration all factors and make the final decision.
As directed at the last meeting Karon Jackson in her capacity as KCBLO was asked to write to the KC regarding the Banding for the breed. At the last meeting Karon advised that the Breed Club shows are bringing in higher entries and the Generals are much lower which is having the knock-on effect for the breed. Karon read out her letter to the KC which the meeting said was excellent. Karon also report that no response yet had been received. Vote of thanks given by Dave Lee supported by those in attendance.
Correspondence - Secretary ran through all the correspondence of which much had been submitted to the clubs prior to the meeting, but up for discussion today see below.
5.1 SCSBTS 2ndd DOWNLANDS
The appointment of an individual whose sole responsibility will be the compilation and maintenance of the BC Judges List".
By way of explanation: Looking at the latest BC Judges List there appear to be a significant number of errors. Whilst it is fully appreciated that the BC Secretary can only compile BC lists based on the information provided by Breed Clubs, we feel that this role now needs a dedicated person who can invest sufficient time and knowledge to making sure all details are correct and up to date at any given time and that this would be too onerous a duty to add to the BC Secretary's workload. The responsible person would not be an Officer of the BC, nor an Assistant Secretary but a BC Judges List Co-ordinator.
This was discussed, the Secretary said that she was happy to continue with the compilation of the Judges list as it would only be part of the role until the end of 2021.
For 3 Against 6 – therefore the proposal failed. See Voting Sheet
5.2 Propose NWSBTC/2ndd SBTC
That the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breed Council of Great Britain & Northern Ireland follow KC guide lines in respect of judging criteria for their A1/2/3 judging lists and future judging appointments.
A3 List (Breed Specialists) Requirements:
a. Minimum of seven years judging experience in the breed (by the date of any nominated Championship show if applicable) and have the support of the Breed Council/Club or Society. (KC Policy)
b. To have judged both sexes at 1 Breed Club Show(s) and/or 3 Breed Club Supported Entry Shows.
c. To have judged a minimum of 60 classes. (with dog’s present )
d. To have judged a minimum of 160 dogs. (KC Policy)
e. To have attended a seminar given by a Kennel Club Accredited Trainer and passed the relevant examination on Kennel Club Regulations and Judging Procedures. (KC Policy as of 1.7.2001)
f. To have attended a seminar given by a Kennel Club Accredited Trainer on Conformation and Movement. (KC Policy as of 1.7.2001)
g. To have attended a Points of the Dog Assessment conducted by a Kennel Club Accredited Trainer and passed the assessment. (KC Policy as of 1.7.2005)
h. To have attended at least one Breed Specific Seminar run in accordance with the relevant Kennel Club Code of Best Practice and passed an examination and/or assessment where applicable. (KC Policy as of 1.7.2001)
i. To have bred and/or owned a minimum of three dogs when they obtained their first entry in the Kennel Club Stud Book (save in exceptional circumstances). (KC Policy)
j. To have stewarded at 12 Shows/days (Open or Championship). (KC Policy)
This was discussed at great length and two minor amendments were added to the proposal before voting upon highlighted in red.
5.2 item (b) For 6 Abstain 3 – therefore the proposal passed – see voting sheet
5.2 item (c ) For 8 Abstain 1 – therefore the proposal passed – see voting sheet
5.2 amended proposal For 6 Abstain 3 – therefore the proposal passed – see voting sheet
6. Health Issues and Lead Health Co-Ordinator Report Kirsty read out the Health Co Ordinator report and gave an over view of the SBT Health Survey. Kirsty informed the meeting that another survey is being compiled which relates to Breeding further information will be given in due course. Vote of thanks from the Clubs for Archie and Kirsty in running this Survey.
7. Judges Competency Framework. The KC has over the last few months tweaked the JCF and clubs have been advised on the amendments. The JCF Booklet has been updated and was available at Crufts in hard copy, the Breed Clubs were all sent a link for them to download their own copies.
Helen reported to the meeting that she had contacted all the breed club secretaries asking for their suggestions for mentors. As yet she had not had any response. There is a list of CC judges who have agreed to act as mentors, but more are needed. Discussion took place that many judges and non-judges are concerned about the whole process especially the feed back form which the mentee must complete following the mentoring session. The current system of 3 assessments for the A2 route works well however there is no feedback to the judge who has been assessed and some of the question on the form are irrelevant – i.e. did the judge dress in a respectable manner.
It was agreed that the Breed Council Secretary contact the Judges Dept/ JCF expressing our concerns about the Mentoring process and the current A2 Assessment process.
Proposed East Midlands/2ndd Southern Counties For 8 Abstain 1 - see voting sheet
8. Matters brought forward by delegates for discussion.
9. Free discussion period on the Staffordshire Bull Terrier none
10. Adoption of the balance sheet & matters arising The Secretary quickly ran through the balance sheet as this had already been circulated to the Clubs. It was pointed out that the Donation of £2000 should specify what this was for. The donation was for the Heritage Centre and the Roof Replacement Fund.
Proposed by Downlands/2ndd SBTC that the accounts were acceptable For Unan – see voting sheet
11. Election of auditor. At present Mr Max King - The Secretary reported to the meeting that Max was happy to continue in the role and would still only charge £25.00 for auditing the accounts. Proposed by East Midlands/2ndd SBTC For Unan - see voting sheet.
13. Date of the next meeting. Saturday 5th October 2019 Fieldhead Hotel – Booked It was pointed out that this date coincides with the Holland Weekend, so it has been changed since the meeting to the Saturday 2nd November 2019.
Meeting closed at 2.30pm
Helen E Reaney (Hon Secretary)
Circulated to all Member Clubs 27th April 2019