Minutes of Meeting held on Saturday 17th November 2018 at
The Fieldhead Hotel, Markfield Lane, Markfield LE67 9PS
The Following were in attendance
Helen Reaney – Secretary
Joe Samby – Acting Chairman in the absence of Dave Lee, Karon Jackson – KCBLO
Clubs in attendance
Downlands – John Joyce
East Anglia – Gem Rowe
East Midlands – Janet Higgins and Maureen Ward
Northern Counties – Martin Johnson
Notts & Derby – Mick Smith and Kirsty Summerfield
Southern Counties – Alice Levy & Kevin Papworth
SBTC – Karon Jackson
1. Apologies for absence. Merseyside, North West, Scottish & South Wales – meeting was Quorate
2. Minutes of the meeting held on Saturday 14th April 2017 & matters arising.
Proposed as a true record Notts & Derby/2ndd SBTC. Carried
3. Correspondence & matters arising. The Secretary ran through the correspondence of which most had already been submitted to each club for perusal when received – Email of thanks from the Heritage Centre for the £2000 donation for the Roof. Approval of Annual Returns from the KC. Response from Bill Lambert regarding the SBT Control Scheme, Letter from KC re Karen Johnson’s evaluation following her judging at Birmingham National 2018 and approval. Letter from KC regarding approval to judge CC for the first time for Karen Waltham and Tony Gareffa.
It was discussed and agreed that the Secretary and the KCBLO would write into the KC regarding Tony Gareffa approval when the Breed Council had not supported the nomination. The Council are aware that the opinion letters are for guidance, but we needed to have clarification as to why they accepted him. Proposed East Midlands/2ndd Southern Counties – Carried
4.1. Chairman’s Report. None
4.2. Secretary’s Report. See attached
4.3. Public Relation Officer’s Report. – None
4.4. Kennel Club Breed Liaison Officer’s Report. – See Attached – It was agreed following Karon’s report that she write to the KC regarding the entries at Breed Club Championship Show and General Championship Shows as it was the BC Championship shows that were bringing in the higher entries. The possibility of the breed dropping down from Band E to Band D would not be the fault of the Clubs. – Carried
5. Health Issues & Lead Health Coordinators Report. Kirsty Summerfield handed out the report that Archie and she had compiled. Overall as discussed in correspondence the responses back from Bill Lambert were positive and a step forward. Still away to go but at least it is a start. The on-line survey was up and running and Kirsty encouraged everyone to complete it and put the word out on Social Media and at the Breed Clubs. Another positive and to be confirmed litter screening results had been added to a litter that had been bred and showed the results for PHPV on the registration paperwork.
6. Judges Competency Framework – General discussion about the JCF, Helen Reaney had been confirmed as Breed Education Co-Ordinator. Further updates on the JCF would be forwarded to all the Clubs as received.
7.1 Notts & Derby propose. The Breed Education Co Ordinator shall serve a 3- year term, shall be elected at the first Ordinary Meeting of the Council of the appropriate year. The Breed Education Co Ordinator preceding this election shall remain in office until the end of that Meeting. The Breed Education Co-ordinator for SBT’S shall be invited to attend Council Meetings as an Observer (The three- year period would fall in line with the current term which the KCBLO is in situ and whose new term of office will commence in January 2019 therefore the current BEC term of office would stand until December 2021) Proposed Notts & Derby/2ndd SBT. Carried
8. Public Relations Officer
Is there a need for the Public Relations Officer?
(At the last meeting there were no nominations for PRO within the Council members and therefore the future role needs to be discussed. In view of Social Media, the Internet any news and issues is usually dealt with before the next Breed Council meeting, and out of date, the Press (if any) tend to contact the relevant breed clubs for information and the public can obtain any breed specific information via the social platform or the internet)
The Council would also need to consider should the PRO be from a Club who is a Council member or as we had earlier this year a nomination following the last meeting in April, from a Club who were not members of the Breed Council.
Much discussion took place and a vote did take place about the removal of the role, but this failed and agreed that the Clubs would discuss further.
9. CC Allocation No update except there is to be a Board Meeting at the end of November and further updates would be sent out as needed.
10. Matters brought forward by delegates for discussion.
• It was suggested that the Breed has an Annual Health Promotion Month and all the clubs are involved. Agreed that the BC Secretary forward an e-mail to all the clubs and to bring back to the next meeting.
• With the new JCF clubs must support 2 Canine Societies each year with 17 Clubs this is taking up 34 judges from our B lists which will have a knock-on effect for our Breed Club shows.
• Concerns raised at the lack of people who want to join committee’s and the lack people coming through who want to judge.
11. Free discussion period on the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. None
• Back to Back Shows are very successful
• Concerns raised over the need to ensure that Observers who attend Breed Council Meeting do not discuss what they have heard on Social Media as the minutes and associated paperwork won’t be ratified until the next meeting.
13. Date of Meetings in 2019
Saturday 30th March 2019. Saturday 5th October 2019
Helen E Reaney (Hon Secretary) - Circulated to all Member Clubs 13th October 2018