Southern Counties Staffordshire Bull Terrier Society
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as standalone items, (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog. Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
Care and Control
15) Will maintain a high standard of health and care for all dogs under my protection and they will receive attention in relation to worming and immunisation and any other health issue.
16) Will endeavour to only breed to produce sound, healthy stock, which will be a credit to the Breed. I will be honest in my dealings with buyers and fellow breeders and endeavour to co-operate towards a programme of improvement for the breed.
17) Will only breed from those dogs and bitches believed to be clear from painful hereditary faults and who are of sound Stafford temperament as defined in the Breed Standard.
18) Will only breed from mature healthy dogs and bitches, conscientiously planning each litter. Bitches will not be used for breeding before they are twelve months of age, while accepting that eighteen months is more suitable, and thereafter not more than once in any twelve-month period. If it should be necessary to breed from a bitch twice within twelve months, she will be rested for at least three seasons or two years whichever is sooner.
19) Will be satisfied as to the suitability of the breeding of any bitch to which my stud dog is mated, and to the conditions under which the resulting litter will be reared
20) Will not allow any of my purebred, registered dogs to be mated to any dog of a different breed, to a crossbred dog or to an unregistered dog of the same breed.
21) Will keep suitable records of breeding, sales and registrations and shall endeavour to give a true and realistic description of stock, especially as to the potential of young stock, in case I should inadvertently imply guaranteed show success.
Sale or Transfer of Stock:
22) Will only sell puppies, which to the best of my knowledge are of good health and temperament and are at least seven weeks old, weaned and fully independent of the mother.
23) Will also supply a current health record and details of worming or suitable publications relating to those requirements. Any dogs sold or transferred over the age of twenty weeks will be fully inoculated.
24) Will not allow my stud dog to be mated knowing that resulting stock will be disposed of in any of the fore mentioned ways, (See No.13 above).
25) Will, (In addition to No.13 above), whenever possible, advertise stock for sale through the channels available to the breed i.e., newsletters, Show catalogues and magazines or through the canine press.
26) Will provide a signed pedigree, (Together with a Kennel Club Registration form), showing at least three generations for each puppy sold. If a Kennel Club registration is withheld it must be by the mutual agreement of both parties.
I will read and familiarise myself with the Kennel Club Standard for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I will share aid and information with those interested in the breed, encourage sportsmanlike conduct in all competition and will not deliberately libel or slander another person or make vicious comments on another’s stock.
We recommend that all members’ dogs be tested for PHPV/HC under a Kennel Club approved scheme whose results are published and that all breeding stock, dog, or bitch, should be DNA tested for both L-2-HYDROXYGLUTARIC ACIDURIA (L-2-HGA) and HEREDITARY JUVENILE CATARACT (HC) before they are bred from, unless they are from parents shown to be hereditarily clear. It is also recommended that all dogs are DNA PROFILED for proof of parentage.
Note: Hereditarily clear
We need your consent to load the translations
We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details and accept the service to view the translations.